March 27, 2008



When I began my organic gardening in earnest, in early 2006, there were very few critters in my yard. I could dig all day, and maybe see one earthworm.

Nowadays, my flower beds are full of earthworms. The yard is also teeming with other critters, like praying mantises, ladybugs and geckos. I purchased praying mantis egg cases a year ago; but I won't need to this year. I am finding them all over the yard. I also won't need to purchase ladybugs this year. I am seeing them throughout the garden.

I even had a toad siting last year! I was especially thrilled with that, because I know that frogs and toads are much rarer than they used to be. I had not seen one in ages.

Last year I discovered that the Swallowtail butterflies enjoyed my dill and parsley plants. As you can see, they also enjoyed lighting on my verbena. This year I have planted a whole bed of parsley. I've actually planted it for use in my green juices and smoothies; but I'm anticipating attracting more butterflies as well.

One of the highlights of my days is hearing the birds singing in the morning as they come to the feeders, or looking out the kitchen window and seeing a sparrow on the patio. Sofar we have had cardinals, sparrows, doves and mockingbirds. I'm sure there have been others, but I'm not too skilled yet at identifying them.

2 comments:

Wavecritter said...

"Critters" , of all kinds, make my day too :)

ELMERC said...

Love The pictures of the fowers with the butterfly. Elaine Cooke